An Insight Into the Causes, Symptoms and Herbal Treatment for Back Pain
A usual misconception is associating back pain as a sign of aging. However, this is not true as back pain can affect any age group as it is caused due to a number of reasons. In short, back pain refers to the pain that emerges at the upper, middle or lower portions of the back. The location and position of the pain are dependent on numerous factors such as age of the individual, medical condition, physical condition of the body and so on. The exact root cause for the pain has to be diagnosed accurately for a speedy recovery.
Common Causes for Back Pain:
A common reason for back pain would be accidents. But one must understand that sometimes even doing simple actions such as picking an object from the floor can also lead to immense pain.
Some of the other factors that could lead to pain are listed below.
- Poor posture
- Inactive lifestyle habits which reduces the body’s fitness level
- Infections or any kind of disease
- Physiological and emotional disturbances
Specific causes of lower back pain include
- Disc malfunctioning
- Spinal infections and irregularities
- Hernia, kidney infections, irritable bowel syndrome etc.
- Neck pain and headaches depending on the cause of pain.
For upper back pain:
- Weakness in the arms
- Uneasy feeling while breathing
- Neck movements would be restricted
- Muscle spasms
For middle back pain:
- Restricted body movements
- Difficulty while performing activities
For lower back pain:
- Kidney infections
- Bladder malfunctioning
Herbal treatment for back & Neck pain
According to Ayurveda, the human body is healthy when its vata, kapha and pitta are in balance. Back & Neck pain is a vata symptom and hence, foods that increase the vata factor needs to be completely avoided. Till the pain disappears, one must avoid consuming rice, curd and lemons. Foods that can be easily digested need to be taken.
- Ayurvedic oil massage
Complete body massage with sesame oil before bathing is extremely effective
- Various techniques such as Upanaha (medicinal analgesic) or dhanyamla (applying fermented medicated oil over the affected parts of the back) are available. One of these techniques would be suggested depending on the exact cause of pain.
- Combination of garlic and coconut oil
Garlic is said to have pain relieving characteristics. In a frying pan, add 50 ml of coconut oil along with 10 garlic cloves. Fry till garlic turns dark brown. Apply this oil over the affected area when it is warm.
- Wheat and milk mixture
Soak around 50 grams of wheat in water overnight. To this, add 2 teaspoons of each coriander and cuscus powder in the morning. Make it into a smooth paste and add 250 ml of milk. Boil this mixture for 20 minutes and consume when warm.
External Ayurvedic Remedy to Cure back Pain: Kalyani Lepa
Due to wrong dietary and lifestyle habits, the frequency of sickness has increased tremendously in the last few years. Nowadays, only the symptoms are treated by the oral intake of medicines, many of which do have side effects. But by opting for this Ayurvedic external application treatment one can be assured that pain be it at the back or neck is completely cured. Kalyani Lepa is kind like a paste that needs to be applied and spread over the affected
A combination of the above remedies along with proper sleep and exercise is a must to ensure that the pain does not reappear.